Browse the glossary:

A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H    I    J    K    L   
M    N    O    P    Q    R    S    T    U    V    W    X    Y    Z


— The probability that an event, association, or difference will occur in a study or in practice


probability, risk

Full explanation:

The likelihood of an event (outcome) is the chance that someone will experience that event; i.e. the number of people in a group that experience the event during a specified period, divided by the total number of people in that group.

The event can be either an undesirable or a desirable outcome.


For example, if 5 out of 100 people who had a heart attack had a second heart attack during the next 4 years, the likelihood of a second heart attack is 5/100 or 5%. Conversely, the likelihood of not having a second heart attack is 95/100 or 95%.

See also:

play of chance

Still don't get it?

If you feel that this definition hasn't helped you to understand the term, click on our monkey to let us know.

← level of evidence likelihood ratio →